Google Analytics vs Segment: What are the differences?
What is Google Analytics? Enterprise-class web analytics. Google Analytics lets you measure your advertising ROI as well as track your Flash, video, and social networking sites and applications.
What is Segment? A single hub to collect, translate and send your data with the flip of a switch. Segment is a single hub for customer data. Collect your data in one place, then send it to more than 100 third-party tools, internal systems, or Amazon Redshift with the flip of a switch.
Google Analytics can be classified as a tool in the "General Analytics" category, while Segment is grouped under "Analytics Integrator".
Some of the features offered by Google Analytics are:
- Analysis Tools- Google Analytics is built on a powerful, easy to use, reporting platform, so you can decide what data you want to view and customize your reports, with just a few clicks.
- Content Analytics- Content reports help you understand which parts of your website are performing well, which pages are most popular so you can create a better experience for your customers.
- Social Analytics- The web is a social place and Google Analytics measures success of your social media programs. You can analyze how visitors interact with sharing features on your site (like the Google +1 button) and engage with your content across social platforms.
On the other hand, Segment provides the following key features:
- A single API to integrate third-party tools
- Data replay that backfills new tools with historical data
- SQL support to automatically transform and load behavioral data into Amazon Redshift
"Free" is the top reason why over 1476 developers like Google Analytics, while over 85 developers mention "Easy to scale and maintain 3rd party services" as the leading cause for choosing Segment.
According to the StackShare community, Google Analytics has a broader approval, being mentioned in 15339 company stacks & 2445 developers stacks; compared to Segment, which is listed in 831 company stacks and 79 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Google Analytics?
What is Segment?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions