Engine Yard Cloud vs Google App Engine: What are the differences?
Engine Yard Cloud: Deploy and scale Rails applications in the cloud. The Engine Yard Platform as a Service (PaaS) is a product family that leverages open source technologies to orchestrate and automate the configuration, deployment and management of applications on multiple infrastructures; Google App Engine: Build web applications on the same scalable systems that power Google applications. Google has a reputation for highly reliable, high performance infrastructure. With App Engine you can take advantage of the 10 years of knowledge Google has in running massively scalable, performance driven systems. App Engine applications are easy to build, easy to maintain, and easy to scale as your traffic and data storage needs grow.
Engine Yard Cloud and Google App Engine can be categorized as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Engine Yard Cloud are:
- Dedicated, secure, commercial-grade platform that increases agility
- Focus on your code - not on operations or platform maintenance
- Scale cloud applications and infrastructure rapidly
On the other hand, Google App Engine provides the following key features:
- Zero to sixty: Scale your app automatically without worrying about managing machines.
- Supercharged APIs: Supercharge your app with services such as Task Queue, XMPP, and Cloud SQL, all powered by the same infrastructure that powers the Google services you use every day.
- You're in control: Manage your application with a simple, web-based dashboard allowing you to customize your app's performance.
"Great customer support" is the primary reason why developers consider Engine Yard Cloud over the competitors, whereas "Easy to deploy" was stated as the key factor in picking Google App Engine.
Snapchat, Accenture, and Movielala are some of the popular companies that use Google App Engine, whereas Engine Yard Cloud is used by ChallengePost, Firecracker, and CoolWorks. Google App Engine has a broader approval, being mentioned in 481 company stacks & 343 developers stacks; compared to Engine Yard Cloud, which is listed in 8 company stacks and 4 developer stacks.