What is Red Hat OpenShift?
OpenShift is Red Hat's Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering. OpenShift is an application platform in the cloud where application developers and teams can build, test, deploy, and run their applications.
Red Hat OpenShift is a tool in the Platform as a Service category of a tech stack.
Red Hat OpenShift is an open source tool with 902 GitHub stars and 551 GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Red Hat OpenShift's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Red Hat OpenShift?
97 companies reportedly use Red Hat OpenShift in their tech stacks, including Accenture, ViaVarejo, and Runtastic.
836 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Red Hat OpenShift.
Red Hat OpenShift Integrations
New Relic, Travis CI, Twilio SendGrid, Datadog, and Cloud9 IDE are some of the popular tools that integrate with Red Hat OpenShift. Here's a list of all 28 tools that integrate with Red Hat OpenShift.
Pros of Red Hat OpenShift
Good free plan
Clean and simple architecture
Ability to run CRON jobs
Easier than Heroku for a WordPress blog
Good balance between Heroku and AWS for flexibility
Shell access to gears
Free, Easy Setup, Lot of Gear or D.I.Y Gear
Its free and offer custom domain usage
Overly complicated and over engineered in majority of e
Autoscaling at a good price point
Easy setup and great customer support
Great free plan with excellent support
No credit card needed
This is the only free one among the three as of today
because it is easy to manage
Jan 29 2020 at 2:08PM
Red Hat, Inc.
Jan 15 2020 at 11:37AM
Sep 4 2019 at 3:07AM
Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat OpenShift's Features
- Built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, and Java (the standard in today's Enterprise)
- OpenShift is extensible with a customizable cartridge functionality that allows developers to add any other language they wish. We've seen everything from Clojure to Cobol running on OpenShift
- OpenShift supports frameworks ranging from Spring, to Rails, to Play
- Autoscaling- OpenShift can scale your application by adding additional instances of your application and enabling clustering. Alternatively, you can manually scale the amount of resources with which your application is deployed when needed
- OpenShift by Red Hat is built on open-source technologies (Red Hat Enterprise Linux- RHEL)
- One Click Deployment- Deploying to the OpenShift platform is as easy a clicking a button or entering a "Git push" command
Red Hat OpenShift Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Red Hat OpenShift?
See all alternatives
Cloud Foundry is an open platform as a service (PaaS) that provides a choice of clouds, developer frameworks, and application services. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy, and scale applications.
Kubernetes is an open source orchestration system for Docker containers. It handles scheduling onto nodes in a compute cluster and actively manages workloads to ensure that their state matches the users declared intentions.
OpenStack is a cloud operating system that controls large pools of compute, storage, and networking resources throughout a datacenter, all managed through a dashboard that gives administrators control while empowering their users to provision resources through a web interface.
The Docker Platform is the industry-leading container platform for continuous, high-velocity innovation, enabling organizations to seamlessly build and share any application — from legacy to what comes next — and securely run them anywhere
Heroku is a cloud application platform – a new way of building and deploying web apps. Heroku lets app developers spend 100% of their time on their application code, not managing servers, deployment, ongoing operations, or scaling.