Bootstrap vs Squarespace: What are the differences?
What is Bootstrap? Simple and flexible HTML, CSS, and JS for popular UI components and interactions. Bootstrap is the most popular HTML, CSS, and JS framework for developing responsive, mobile first projects on the web.
What is Squarespace? Everything You Need To Create An Exceptional Website. Whether you need simple pages, sophisticated galleries, a professional blog, or want to sell online, it all comes standard with your Squarespace website. Squarespace starts you with beautiful designs right out of the box — each handcrafted by our award-winning design team to make your content stand out.
Bootstrap and Squarespace are primarily classified as "Front-End Frameworks" and "Website Builder" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Bootstrap are:
- Preprocessors: Bootstrap ships with vanilla CSS, but its source code utilizes the two most popular CSS preprocessors, Less and Sass. Quickly get started with precompiled CSS or build on the source.
- One framework, every device: Bootstrap easily and efficiently scales your websites and applications with a single code base, from phones to tablets to desktops with CSS media queries.
- Full of features: With Bootstrap, you get extensive and beautiful documentation for common HTML elements, dozens of custom HTML and CSS components, and awesome jQuery plugins.
On the other hand, Squarespace provides the following key features:
- SELL ANYTHING- Easily add a store to any Squarespace website and start selling physical and digital goods immediately.
- PAINLESS STORE MANAGEMENT- Manage your inventory, process customer orders, print packing slips, and customize emails all in one intuitive interface.
- BUILD BETTER PAGES WITH LAYOUTENGINE- LayoutEngine technology gives you the freedom to create visually rich pages with any configuration of text, images, products, and content blocks. Simply drag and drop your content exactly where you want and we'll automatically align them in a perfect grid.
"Responsiveness" is the top reason why over 1544 developers like Bootstrap, while over 32 developers mention "Easy setup" as the leading cause for choosing Squarespace.
Bootstrap is an open source tool with 135K GitHub stars and 66.4K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Bootstrap's open source repository on GitHub.
Spotify, Twitter, and Lyft are some of the popular companies that use Bootstrap, whereas Squarespace is used by Avocode, Runscope, and triGo GmbH. Bootstrap has a broader approval, being mentioned in 8441 company stacks & 6674 developers stacks; compared to Squarespace, which is listed in 488 company stacks and 83 developer stacks.