What is Disqus?
Who uses Disqus?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Disqus in their tech stack.
I've heard that I have the ability to write well, at times. When it flows, it flows. I decided to start blogging in 2013 on Blogger. I started a company and joined BizPark with the Microsoft Azure allotment. I created a WordPress blog and did a migration at some point. A lot happened in the time after that migration but I stopped coding and changed cities during tumultuous times that taught me many lessons concerning mental health and productivity. I eventually graduated from BizSpark and outgrew the credit allotment. That killed the WordPress blog.
I blogged about writing again on the existing Blogger blog but it didn't feel right. I looked at a few options where I wouldn't have to worry about hosting cost indefinitely and Jekyll stood out with GitHub Pages. The Importer was fairly straightforward for the existing blog posts.
Todo * Set up redirects for all posts on blogger. The URI format is different so a complete redirect wouldn't work. Although, there may be something in Jekyll that could manage the redirects. I did notice the old URLs were stored in the front matter. I'm working on a command-line Ruby gem for the current plan. * I did find some of the lost WordPress posts on archive.org that I downloaded with the waybackmachinedownloader. I think I might write an importer for that. * I still have a few Disqus comment threads to map
I created a Squarespace website with multiple blog pages. I discovered that the native Squarespace commenting tool is not currently capable of letting people subscribe to my blog pages if they are using Google Chrome or Safari! I then discovered that Disqus email verification doesn't work with Yahoo Mail. I also hate that there's no way to turn off that email verification (which I don't need since I moderate all comments anyway). So I want to use a different commenting system. I've read some good things about Commento. Three questions: (1) will it work on a Squarespace site? (I'll pay a developer to integrate it for me) (2) Does it have its own issues/elements that don't work smoothly, similar to the other two? (3) Is there another plugin I should be considering for my Squarespace site?
- Clean & Intuitive- We designed the platform to be clutter-free, which keeps people's eyes focused on the discussion itself.
- Fully real-time Live discussions- Discussions unfold in real-time. Comments stream as they are posted and user activity indicates life on your website.
- Activity indicators- Indicators make it easier for people to notice, see, and interact with new content and activity as it happens.
- Typing presence- Disqus even shows when others are in the middle of writing and editing their comment but haven’t posted just yet.
- More dynamic content- The real-time system is designed for active communities, live events, and video content.
- Quality discussions- A smart voting system surfaces the best content on the page.
- Loyal communities- People can see your community’s unique set of top participants and other popular discussions happening across your website.
- Mobile- Disqus automatically supports rich, feature-parity on phones and tablets via a fully responsive, end-to-end HTML5 design.
- Recommended Conversations- Let users easily find other interesting conversations happening on your website.
- Social Sharing- Allow users to easily share any comment or discussion thread to their favorite social network.
- Social Reactions- Discussions around your content happens all over the web. Disqus finds these conversations from Twitter and pulls them into the discussion on your website.
- Social Tagging- With @mentions, easily include others on Disqus and Twitter in your discussion. Mentioned people are notified and encouraged to join your community.
- Moderation Dashboard- Our moderation panel in the Disqus admin is built for sites that have lots of commenting activity
- User Reputation- Users can participate anonymously, using a pseudonym, or with a given name.
- User History- Learn how long your users have been around and how active they are.
- Keyboard Shortcuts- Quickly select a group of items, take action, and change tabs without touching your mouse.
- In-Line & Email Moderation- Moderate your site directly on the comment thread while logged in as a moderator or moderate your comment notifications by email with three simple commands.
- Spam Controls & Word Filtering- Our smart-spam system works network wide and responds to new flare-ups automatically as moderators indicate new issues.
- Blacklisting & Whitelisting- With control lists, specify users, emails, IP addresses, and words.
- Import and export anytime- You can import all your existing comments or export
- Flexible, Powerful Partner API- Our API is full featured and allows your developers to integrate Disqus into your mobile app, widget, forum or visualization.
- Analytics- Visualize data with topical trend analysis, user segmentation and ad sales packaging.
- Single Sign-On- Integrate your existing login system and allow your community to comment via your proprietary sign-in, in addition to the social options Disqus makes available.
- SEO Optimized- Disqus is fully indexable for search engines out- of-the-box. We have been approved by the Google Search Quality team to be organically crawled unlike any other comment platform.