Segment vs Snowplow: What are the differences?
What is Segment? A single hub to collect, translate and send your data with the flip of a switch. Segment is a single hub for customer data. Collect your data in one place, then send it to more than 100 third-party tools, internal systems, or Amazon Redshift with the flip of a switch.
What is Snowplow? Enterprise-strength web, mobile, and event analytics, powered by Hadoop, Kinesis, Redshift and Elasticsearch. Every single event, from your website(s), mobile app(s), desktop applications and server-side systems, stored in your own data warehouse and available to action in real-time.
Segment and Snowplow are primarily classified as "Analytics Integrator" and "Custom Analytics" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Segment are:
- A single API to integrate third-party tools
- Data replay that backfills new tools with historical data
- SQL support to automatically transform and load behavioral data into Amazon Redshift
On the other hand, Snowplow provides the following key features:
- Record events from your website, mobile app, server side systems, third party systems and any type of connected device , so that you have a record of what happened, when, and to whom
- Processes that data including validating, enriching and modeling it
- Load that data into your own datawarehouse to power sophisticted analytics
"Easy to scale and maintain 3rd party services" is the primary reason why developers consider Segment over the competitors, whereas "Can track any type of digital event" was stated as the key factor in picking Snowplow.
Snowplow is an open source tool with 4.82K GitHub stars and 1K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Snowplow's open source repository on GitHub.
StackShare, Product Hunt, and Typeform are some of the popular companies that use Segment, whereas Snowplow is used by Tilt, Auto Trader, and Opower. Segment has a broader approval, being mentioned in 831 company stacks & 79 developers stacks; compared to Snowplow, which is listed in 23 company stacks and 7 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Segment?
What is Snowplow?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions