Shopify vs Stripe: What are the differences?
Developers describe Shopify as "Quickly and easily create a beautiful online store with Shopify". Shopify powers tens of thousands of online retailers including General Electric, Amnesty International, CrossFit, Tesla Motors, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Foo Fighters, GitHub, and more. Our platform allows users to easily and quickly create their own online store without all the technical work involved in developing their own website, or the huge expense of having someone else build it. Shopify lets merchants manage all aspects of their shops: uploading products, changing the design, accepting credit card orders, and viewing their incoming orders and completed transactions. On the other hand, Stripe is detailed as "Payments for developers". Stripe makes it easy for developers to accept credit cards on the web.
Shopify belongs to "Ecommerce" category of the tech stack, while Stripe can be primarily classified under "Payment Services".
Some of the features offered by Shopify are:
- Choose from 100+ professional themes
- Customize the look of your online store
- Start accepting orders in minutes
On the other hand, Stripe provides the following key features:
- Full-stack payments- You don’t need a merchant account or gateway. Stripe handles everything, including storing cards, subscriptions, and direct payouts to your bank account. Stripe.js lets you build your own payment forms while still avoiding PCI requirements.
- An API that gets out of your way- It’s so easy, we’ve embedded a bunch of examples right here. Copy some of these requests into your terminal and check out what happens. With wrappers in Ruby, PHP, Python and more, you can get started in minutes.
- Pricing like it should be- 2.9% + 30 cents per successful charge. No setup fees, no monthly fees, no card storage fees, no hidden costs: you only get charged when you earn money.
"Affordable yet comprehensive" is the top reason why over 14 developers like Shopify, while over 293 developers mention "Easy setup" as the leading cause for choosing Stripe.
reddit, Instacart, and Lyft are some of the popular companies that use Stripe, whereas Shopify is used by Tesla Motors, Wikipedia, and Accenture. Stripe has a broader approval, being mentioned in 1623 company stacks & 522 developers stacks; compared to Shopify, which is listed in 154 company stacks and 36 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Shopify?
What is Stripe?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions