What is Braintree?
Who uses Braintree?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Braintree in their tech stack.
Dear StackShare Community,
I am seeking inspiration on creating a billing & subscription stack and came across this wonderful website and community.
From what I understood so far, I need something like Stripe or Braintree to collect payments without dealing with PCI compliance or setting up merchant accounts, etc... Additionally, services like Chargebee, Recurly, Chargify, etc. are said to make life easier when dealing with recurring billing.
Stated below, I've tried to give you some context on what I want to achieve. I am very curious about your ideas and how you'd configure an optimal stack.
Project context (very high level):
Loyalty program for local merchants (stores, restaurants,...).
Customers support their community and merchants by shopping local.
Merchants grant points to customers based on a customer's value spent in a store, restaurant, etc.
Customers can redeem their points at any participating merchant.
Billing / Subscription scenarios to be considered:
(affecting merchants only)
One-time setup fee
What: Merchant pays a setup fee by signing up for the service
Where: Order placed on the website
Monthly retainer fee
What: Merchant pays a monthly recurring retainer for the service.
Where: Order placed on the website
Manually initiated payment
What: Merchant initiates a payment to top up his virtual points wallet. E.g. pays 100 USD to top up 100000 points which then can be used by the merchant for granting points to customers.
Why: Points issued to members need to be paid for by the merchant. We first considered billing the merchants post-ante, e.g. monthly based on the points they've granted to their customers in the last 30 days, but this seems too risky: If they can't / won't pay we'd still have to pay out points to the customers (technically to the merchants where the customers redeem their points). Thus, the pragmatic idea to reduce risk by having the merchants to pre-pay for their points by topping up their balance.
Where: Web application (with the merchant logged in)
Nice to have: Opt-in for automatically initiated top-ups if a merchant's balance falls below a certain amount.
What: After every transaction (setup, retainer, top-up,...), we need to automatically issue and send (E-Mail) an invoice to the merchant.
Nice to have: Customer portal with all their invoices.
Other potentially relevant parameters
Currency: Only Euro
Country: Only Germany (so far)
Tax: Only one tax rate
Payment for setup & retainer: Credit Card; ideally SEPA Direct Debit (but that still causes headache due to the SEPA regulatory and risk of chargebacks still after weeks), PayPal?
Payment for top-up: Same as above plus any other that makes sense (Klarna, Sofort, PayPal...)
Again, thank you very much for sharing your ideas and thoughts! I'd highly appreciate any input :-)
Hi there, I am trying to figure out if it's worth creating a Braintree account to do subscription billing in my Shopify store. The goal is to have as little custom code as possible for the store but be able to do subscription billing services, we already have a PayPal business account, but from the looks of it, we can't use PayWhirl directly with Paypal.
- Simple pricing with no minimums- Pay only for what you use, with no minimum monthly volume, at the simple US pricing rate of 2.9% + $.30 per transaction.
- An API developers love- Integrate your app with our API over a cup of coffee.
- We support your business model- Subscriptions or one-off, mobile or web, local or global, our platform adapts.
- High-volume pricing plans- Custom pricing for companies processing millions of transactions.
- Grow across borders- Accept payments in more than 130 currencies worldwide.
- Incredibly scalable- Unparalleled capacity and availability, plus advanced features like dynamic card descriptors and webhooks.
- Support- We set the standard for real, knowledgeable, human client support. Try it, and see for yourself.
- Cash Flow- Get most of your money in just two business days and all of it in four - an important consideration for businesses of all sizes.
- Portability- No vendor lock-in. In the unlikely event you decide to leave us for another service, you can take your data with you.
- Going Mobile- We’re the leader in mobile payments with $1bn in annual volume and mobile-specific client libraries.
- Going Global- We’re available to companies in the US, Canada, Australia, UK and Europe...with more to follow.