AWS CloudFormation vs Cloud Foundry: What are the differences?
Developers describe AWS CloudFormation as "Create and manage a collection of related AWS resources". You can use AWS CloudFormation’s sample templates or create your own templates to describe the AWS resources, and any associated dependencies or runtime parameters, required to run your application. You don’t need to figure out the order in which AWS services need to be provisioned or the subtleties of how to make those dependencies work. On the other hand, Cloud Foundry is detailed as "Deploy and scale applications in seconds on your choice of private or public cloud". Cloud Foundry is an open platform as a service (PaaS) that provides a choice of clouds, developer frameworks, and application services. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy, and scale applications.
AWS CloudFormation can be classified as a tool in the "Infrastructure Build Tools" category, while Cloud Foundry is grouped under "Platform as a Service".
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudFormation are:
- AWS CloudFormation comes with the following ready-to-run sample templates: WordPress (blog),Tracks (project tracking), Gollum (wiki used by GitHub), Drupal (content management), Joomla (content management), Insoshi (social apps), Redmine (project mgmt)
- No Need to Reinvent the Wheel – A template can be used repeatedly to create identical copies of the same stack (or to use as a foundation to start a new stack)
- Transparent and Open – Templates are simple JSON formatted text files that can be placed under your normal source control mechanisms, stored in private or public locations such as Amazon S3 and exchanged via email.
On the other hand, Cloud Foundry provides the following key features:
- Application and services centric lifecycle API
- High performance dynamic routing
- Buildpack support
Cloud Foundry is an open source tool with 605 GitHub stars and 532 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Cloud Foundry's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, AWS CloudFormation has a broader approval, being mentioned in 197 company stacks & 77 developers stacks; compared to Cloud Foundry, which is listed in 8 company stacks and 13 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is AWS CloudFormation?
What is Cloud Foundry?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions