AWS CloudHSM vs AWS Key Management Service: What are the differences?
Developers describe AWS CloudHSM as "Dedicated Hardware Security Module (HSM) appliances within the AWS cloud". The AWS CloudHSM service allows you to protect your encryption keys within HSMs designed and validated to government standards for secure key management. You can securely generate, store, and manage the cryptographic keys used for data encryption such that they are accessible only by you. AWS CloudHSM helps you comply with strict key management requirements without sacrificing application performance. On the other hand, AWS Key Management Service is detailed as "Easily create and control the encryption keys used to encrypt your data". AWS Key Management Service (KMS) is a managed service that makes it easy for you to create and control the encryption keys used to encrypt your data, and uses Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) to protect the security of your keys. AWS Key Management Service is integrated with other AWS services including Amazon EBS, Amazon S3, and Amazon Redshift. AWS Key Management Service is also integrated with AWS CloudTrail to provide you with logs of all key usage to help meet your regulatory and compliance needs.
AWS CloudHSM and AWS Key Management Service can be categorized as "Data Security Services" tools.
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudHSM are:
- Protect and store your cryptographic keys with industry standard, tamper-resistant HSM appliances. No one but you has access to your keys (including Amazon administrators who manage and maintain the appliance).
- Use your most sensitive and regulated data on Amazon EC2 without giving applications direct access to your data's encryption keys.
- Store and access data reliably from your applications that demand highly available and durable key storage and cryptographic operations.
On the other hand, AWS Key Management Service provides the following key features:
- Centralized Key Management
- Integrated with AWS services
- Encryption for all your applications
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is AWS CloudHSM?
What is AWS Key Management Service?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions