Datadog vs PagerDuty: What are the differences?
Datadog: Unify logs, metrics, and traces from across your distributed infrastructure. Datadog is the leading service for cloud-scale monitoring. It is used by IT, operations, and development teams who build and operate applications that run on dynamic or hybrid cloud infrastructure. Start monitoring in minutes with Datadog!; PagerDuty: Incident management with powerful visibility, reliable alerting, and improved collaboration. PagerDuty is an alarm aggregation and dispatching service for system administrators and support teams. It collects alerts from your monitoring tools, gives you an overall view of all of your monitoring alarms, and alerts an on duty engineer if there's a problem.
Datadog belongs to "Performance Monitoring" category of the tech stack, while PagerDuty can be primarily classified under "Monitoring Aggregation".
Some of the features offered by Datadog are:
- 14-day Free Trial for an unlimited number of hosts
- 200+ turn-key integrations for data aggregation
- Clean graphs of StatsD and other integrations
On the other hand, PagerDuty provides the following key features:
- Alerting that works (and wakes you up)- When your systems go down, PagerDuty will wake you up. You choose how you want to be alerted - via phone, SMS or email, to multiple numbers, with retries.
- Integrate all your existing monitoring tools- PagerDuty works great with almost all monitoring tools including: Nagios (and Icinga), Keynote, New Relic, Pingdom, Circonus, Red Gate SQL Monitor, Server Density, Zenoss, Monit, Munin, SolarWinds and many others. If it can send email, it will work with PagerDuty.
- Native apps with push notifications- iOS and Android native apps with push notifications and a cross-platform mobile website ensure you can respond to alerts wherever you are, even on the go.
"Monitoring for many apps (databases, web servers, etc)" is the primary reason why developers consider Datadog over the competitors, whereas "Just works" was stated as the key factor in picking PagerDuty.
According to the StackShare community, Datadog has a broader approval, being mentioned in 541 company stacks & 223 developers stacks; compared to PagerDuty, which is listed in 303 company stacks and 47 developer stacks.