AWS CloudTrail vs Splunk Cloud: What are the differences?
What is AWS CloudTrail? Record AWS API calls for your account and have log files delivered to you. With CloudTrail, you can get a history of AWS API calls for your account, including API calls made via the AWS Management Console, AWS SDKs, command line tools, and higher-level AWS services (such as AWS CloudFormation). The AWS API call history produced by CloudTrail enables security analysis, resource change tracking, and compliance auditing. The recorded information includes the identity of the API caller, the time of the API call, the source IP address of the API caller, the request parameters, and the response elements returned by the AWS service.
What is Splunk Cloud? Easy and fast way to analyze valuable machine data with the convenience of software as a service (SaaS). If you're looking for all the benefits of Splunk® Enterprise with all the benefits of software-as-a-service, then look no further. Splunk Cloud is backed by a 100% uptime SLA, scales to over 10TB/day, and offers a highly secure environment.
AWS CloudTrail and Splunk Cloud belong to "Log Management" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudTrail are:
- Increased Visibility- CloudTrail provides increased visibility into your user activity by recording AWS API calls. You can answer questions such as, what actions did a given user take over a given time period? For a given resource, which user has taken actions on it over a given time period? What is the source IP address of a given activity? Which activities failed due to inadequate permissions?
- Durable and Inexpensive Log File Storage- CloudTrail uses Amazon S3 for log file storage and delivery, so log files are stored durably and inexpensively. You can use Amazon S3 lifecycle configuration rules to further reduce storage costs. For example, you can define rules to automatically delete old log files or archive them to Amazon Glacier for additional savings.
- Easy Administration- CloudTrail is a fully managed service
On the other hand, Splunk Cloud provides the following key features:
- Splunk Cloud delivers all the features of award-winning Splunk® Enterprise, as a cloud-based service. The platform provides access to various apps and enables centralized visibility across cloud, hybrid and on-premises environments
- Instant: Instant trial and instant conversion from POC to production
- Secure: Completed SOC2 Type 2 Attestation*. Dedicated cloud environments for each customer
"Very easy setup" is the primary reason why developers consider AWS CloudTrail over the competitors, whereas "More powerful & Integrates with on-prem & off-prem" was stated as the key factor in picking Splunk Cloud.
According to the StackShare community, AWS CloudTrail has a broader approval, being mentioned in 37 company stacks & 11 developers stacks; compared to Splunk Cloud, which is listed in 10 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.