Amazon SNS vs Google Cloud Messaging: What are the differences?
Key Differences between Amazon SNS and Google Cloud Messaging
Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS) and Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) are cloud-based messaging services that allow developers to send push notifications to mobile devices, as well as to other distributed services.
- Amazon SNS: It follows a publish/subscribe model where developers can publish messages to SNS topics, and subscribers receive those messages.
- Google Cloud Messaging: It uses an HTTP-based system where developers send messages to specific device IDs or topics, and GCM handles the delivery.
2. Target Platforms and Services:
- Amazon SNS: It supports push notifications for various platforms including iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, and Windows Phone.
- Google Cloud Messaging: It primarily focuses on Android and iOS devices, providing rich push notifications and synchronization with Google services.
- Amazon SNS: It offers virtually unlimited scalability, allowing developers to handle any amount of traffic without worrying about infrastructure.
- Google Cloud Messaging: It also provides scalability and can handle high message loads, but may have some limitations on the number of messages per device in certain scenarios.
- Amazon SNS: It offers additional features such as message filtering, message attributes, and mobile analytics. It also provides support for SMS and email notifications.
- Google Cloud Messaging: It focuses on delivering push notifications to mobile devices and does not offer as many additional features as Amazon SNS.
- Amazon SNS: It follows a pay-as-you-go pricing model, where users only pay for the messages they send and any additional features they use.
- Google Cloud Messaging: It also follows a pay-as-you-go pricing model, but the charges may vary based on the number of messages and additional services used.
6. Integration with Other Cloud Services:
- Amazon SNS: It integrates well with other Amazon Web Services such as AWS Lambda, AWS IoT, and AWS CloudFormation, enabling developers to build complex applications.
- Google Cloud Messaging: It integrates with other Google Cloud services such as Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), Google Analytics, and Firebase Authentication, providing a seamless development experience within the Google Cloud ecosystem.
In summary, while both Amazon SNS and Google Cloud Messaging provide push notification services, they differ in their architecture, target platforms, scalability, features, pricing, and integration options. Developers can choose the one that aligns better with their specific requirements and ecosystem.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon SNS?
What is Google Cloud Messaging?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions