Amazon CloudFront vs Fastly: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amazon CloudFront as "Content delivery with low latency and high data transfer speeds". Amazon CloudFront can be used to deliver your entire website, including dynamic, static, streaming, and interactive content using a global network of edge locations. Requests for your content are automatically routed to the nearest edge location, so content is delivered with the best possible performance. On the other hand, Fastly is detailed as "We're redefining content delivery". Fastly's real-time content delivery network gives you total control over your content, unprecedented access to performance analytics, and the ability to instantly update content in 150 milliseconds.
Amazon CloudFront and Fastly belong to "Content Delivery Network" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon CloudFront are:
- Fast- Using a network of edge locations around the world, Amazon CloudFront caches copies of your static content close to viewers, lowering latency when they download your objects and giving you the high, sustained data transfer rates needed to deliver large popular objects to end users at scale.
- Simple- A single API call lets you get started distributing content from your Amazon S3 bucket or Amazon EC2 instance or other origin server through the Amazon CloudFront network.
- Designed for use with other Amazon Web Services Amazon CloudFront is designed for use with other Amazon Web Services, including Amazon S3, where you can durably store the definitive versions of your static files, and Amazon EC2, where you can run your application server for dynamically generated content.
On the other hand, Fastly provides the following key features:
- static content delivery
- event-driven content delivery
- Dynamic Site Acceleration (DSA)
"Fast" is the top reason why over 245 developers like Amazon CloudFront, while over 20 developers mention "Real-time updates" as the leading cause for choosing Fastly.
According to the StackShare community, Amazon CloudFront has a broader approval, being mentioned in 3358 company stacks & 599 developers stacks; compared to Fastly, which is listed in 96 company stacks and 11 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon CloudFront?
What is Fastly?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions