Flynn vs OpenShift: What are the differences?
Flynn: Next generation open source platform as a service. Flynn lets you deploy apps with git push and containers. Developers can deploy any app to any cluster in seconds; OpenShift: Red Hat's free Platform as a Service (PaaS) for hosting Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, Node.js, and Perl apps. OpenShift is Red Hat's Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering. OpenShift is an application platform in the cloud where application developers and teams can build, test, deploy, and run their applications.
Flynn and OpenShift can be primarily classified as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Flynn are:
- Flynn goes beyond 12 factor apps. Run any Linux process written in any language or framework, even stateful apps on your own servers or any public cloud.
- Scaling or adding a new cluster is simple: just add more nodes. Everything is containerized, Flynn takes care of distributing work across the cluster.
- Flynn is 100% free and open source. Flynn works great out of the box, and since Flynn is modular and API-driven it's easy to modify and swap components to suit your needs.
On the other hand, OpenShift provides the following key features:
- Built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, and Java (the standard in today's Enterprise)
- OpenShift is extensible with a customizable cartridge functionality that allows developers to add any other language they wish. We've seen everything from Clojure to Cobol running on OpenShift.
- OpenShift supports frameworks ranging from Spring, to Rails, to Play
"Free" is the primary reason why developers consider Flynn over the competitors, whereas "Good free plan" was stated as the key factor in picking OpenShift.
Flynn and OpenShift are both open source tools. It seems that Flynn with 7.24K GitHub stars and 534 forks on GitHub has more adoption than OpenShift with 915 GitHub stars and 563 GitHub forks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Flynn?
What is Red Hat OpenShift?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat, Inc.