ClearDB vs Firebase: What are the differences?
What is ClearDB? Fault tolerant database-as-a-service in the cloud for your MySQL powered applications. ClearDB uses a combination of advanced replication techniques, advanced cluster technology, and layered web services to provide you with a MySQL database that is "smarter" than usual.
What is Firebase? The Realtime App Platform. Firebase is a cloud service designed to power real-time, collaborative applications. Simply add the Firebase library to your application to gain access to a shared data structure; any changes you make to that data are automatically synchronized with the Firebase cloud and with other clients within milliseconds.
ClearDB and Firebase are primarily classified as "SQL Database as a Service" and "Realtime Backend / API" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by ClearDB are:
- Global Multi-Master Design- ClearDB uses geo-distributed MySQL database configurations for the ultimate in database availability, survivability, and performance. Even if whole cloud regions go offline, your database will stay online.
- Completely Fault Tolerant- ClearDB is the only cloud database in the market today that offers true multi-regional read/write mirroring with 100% uptime, even if networks or disks fail.
- Native MySQL- Our clusters use native MySQL so that you don't have to worry about re-tuning your applications to work with ClearDB.
On the other hand, Firebase provides the following key features:
- Add the Firebase library to your app and get access to a shared data structure. Any changes made to that data are automatically synchronized with the Firebase cloud and with other clients within milliseconds.
- Firebase apps can be written entirely with client-side code, update in real-time out-of-the-box, interoperate well with existing services, scale automatically, and provide strong data security.
- Data Accessibility- Data is stored as JSON in Firebase. Every piece of data has its own URL which can be used in Firebase's client libraries and as a REST endpoint. These URLs can also be entered into a browser to view the data and watch it update in real-time.
"Cloud SQL" is the top reason why over 6 developers like ClearDB, while over 320 developers mention "Realtime backend made easy" as the leading cause for choosing Firebase.
Instacart, 9GAG, and Twitch are some of the popular companies that use Firebase, whereas ClearDB is used by Salesforce, Movielala, and Skype. Firebase has a broader approval, being mentioned in 1215 company stacks & 4651 developers stacks; compared to ClearDB, which is listed in 7 company stacks and 13 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is ClearDB?
What is Firebase?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions