What is Traefik?
Who uses Traefik?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Traefik in their tech stack.
We use Traefik as the web server.
The reasons for choosing Traefik over Nginx are as follows:
- Traefik built-in Let’s Encrypt and supports automatic renewal
- Traefik automatically enables HTTP/2
- Prometheus can be supported through simple Traefik configuration
- cookiecutter django integrates Traefik's configuration by default
We switched to Traefik so we can use the REST API to dynamically configure subdomains and have the ability to redirect between multiple servers.
We still use nginx with a docker-compose to expose the traffic from our APIs and TCP microservices, but for managing routing to the internet Traefik does a much better job
- Continuously updates its configuration (No restarts!)
- Supports multiple load balancing algorithms
- Provides HTTPS to your microservices by leveraging Let's Encrypt (wildcard certificates support)
- Circuit breakers, retry
- High Availability with cluster mode
- See the magic through its clean web UI
- Websocket, HTTP/2, GRPC ready
- Provides metrics
- Keeps access logs
- Exposes a Rest API