Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Kanban Tool vs Microsoft Teams: What are the differences?
What is Kanban Tool? Visually manage your work. Kanban Tool is an intuitive solution used for visual project management and process work flow management with seamless time tracking and time reports. It allows to visualize workflow, manage tasks and projects with online Kanban boards and cards.
What is Microsoft Teams? Chat-based workspace in Office 365. See content and chat history anytime, including team chats with Skype that are visible to the whole team. Private group chats are available for smaller group conversations.
Kanban Tool and Microsoft Teams are primarily classified as "Agile Project Management" and "Group Chat & Notifications" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Kanban Tool are:
- Kanban board
- Kanban analytics: CFD, Lead and Cycle Time, Breakdown chart
- Time tracking
On the other hand, Microsoft Teams provides the following key features:
- All your content, tools, people, and conversations are available in the team workspace
- Enjoy built-in access to SharePoint, OneNote, and Skype for Business
- Work on documents right in the app
"Very intuitive and integrates with a lot of apps" is the primary reason why developers consider Kanban Tool over the competitors, whereas "Free" was stated as the key factor in picking Microsoft Teams.
As it is the communication tool chosen for the course, our team will be using Slack to monitor the course announcements from our instructor as well as to communicate with the instructor and industry partners. The tool for communicating within the team will be Microsoft Teams. Microsoft Teams enables the team to share documents and edit them synchronously(Google Drive is not an option due to one team member's location). Since it also provides a group chat feature, we chose to use it as our communication tool to avoid using too many softwares.
Communication We have chosen two tools for our team communication.
We choose Slack since all of us are familiar with this communication tool. We have a private channel for our team Sphinx for text messages. We added Github apps inside our private channel for repo update notifications. Furthermore, we could contact the subject matter experts within the workspace DCSIL directly for the issues we meet.
- Microsoft Teams
We use Microsoft Teams for virtual meetings for its fast connection speed. In addition, the call feature in Slack is a paid feature, and we could have virtual meetings and share screens for free in Microsoft Teams.
we were using
slack and at the same time we had a subscription with office 365. after a while we hit the slack free limitation quota. and it got annoying. the search ability was useless in free tier. and more annoying whenever you search, it opens a webpage and doesn't do it in the app.
on mobile there were many cases that I didn't get notification of important discussions. rooms was the way to separate a talk. but it become tedious. each time for a new subject that you wanted to discuss, you needed to add all the team members into a new room. and after a while the room goes silent. you will end up with a tons of not-in-use rooms that you don't want to clean up them for history purposes. also the slack UI for sub discussion is very stupid. if someone forget to check the checkbox to post the subdiscussion in the main discussion thread, other team members even won't notice such discussion is in progress.
we was paying for office 365 and thought why not give the teams a shot. we won't be in worth situation than we are. we moved to teams and we loved it instantly, we had a separate tab aggregated all the files upload. we could reply on other talk. no need of creating a new room. this way room belongs to a team and not a certain topic. our sub discussion was visible to the whole team. enjoyed integration with azure and unlimited history. the best part was integration with outlook. it was a full suit solution. our stats become busy on outlook meeting events. we get weekly analyse. we didn't need to host our wiki seperated. we've created wiki per team. the communication was much more fun.
Pros of Kanban Tool
- Time tracking and time report + my work widget7
- Great for staying on top of the work, love it7
- Ease of use and endless customization7
- Very intuitive and integrates with a lot of apps7
- Advanced but easy to use tool4
- Simple visual project management4
- Simple interface combined with a perfect functionality1
- Big impact on collaboration between employees1
- Intuitive, user-friendly tool1
- Great at work and at home1
- Integrated application for your phone for free1
- The best tool1
- Multifunctional and very useful1
- It's efficient and easy to use1
- It helps me a lot to organize my daily tasks1
- Very useful tool, easy to use1
- Sense of control over my tasks1
- Project time tracking1
- User-friendly interface1
- Easy to manage visual tool- I enjoy my to do's1
- Developer Tools Power-Up and API1
- Provides elaborate analysis1
Pros of Microsoft Teams
- Work well with the rest of Office 365 work flow28
- Mobile friendly23
- Great integrations12
- Well-thought Design11
- Easy setup8
- Unlimited users6
- Strong search and data archiving5
- Multi domain switching support4
- Easy to integrate with4
- Same interface on multiple platforms3
- Web interface3
- Great voice quality2
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of Kanban Tool
Cons of Microsoft Teams
- Confusing UI17
- Bad performance on init and after quite a use12
- Bad Usermanagement10
- No desktop client (only fat and slow electron app)6
- Can't see all members in a video meeting6
- Unable to Mute users5
- No Markdown Support5
- You don't really own your messages4
- MIssing public channels4
- Forced WYSIWYG4
- Stubborn, unused friendly3
- Challenging Onboarding3
- No linux support3
- Audio support problems1