AWS CloudTrail vs Logmatic: What are the differences?
What is AWS CloudTrail? Record AWS API calls for your account and have log files delivered to you. With CloudTrail, you can get a history of AWS API calls for your account, including API calls made via the AWS Management Console, AWS SDKs, command line tools, and higher-level AWS services (such as AWS CloudFormation). The AWS API call history produced by CloudTrail enables security analysis, resource change tracking, and compliance auditing. The recorded information includes the identity of the API caller, the time of the API call, the source IP address of the API caller, the request parameters, and the response elements returned by the AWS service.
What is Logmatic? Funnel all logs, metrics and machine events into a single hub. Get a clear overview of what is happening across your distributed environments, and spot the needle in the haystack in no time. Build dynamic analyses and identify improvements for your software, your user experience and your business.
AWS CloudTrail and Logmatic can be primarily classified as "Log Management" tools.
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudTrail are:
- Increased Visibility- CloudTrail provides increased visibility into your user activity by recording AWS API calls. You can answer questions such as, what actions did a given user take over a given time period? For a given resource, which user has taken actions on it over a given time period? What is the source IP address of a given activity? Which activities failed due to inadequate permissions?
- Durable and Inexpensive Log File Storage- CloudTrail uses Amazon S3 for log file storage and delivery, so log files are stored durably and inexpensively. You can use Amazon S3 lifecycle configuration rules to further reduce storage costs. For example, you can define rules to automatically delete old log files or archive them to Amazon Glacier for additional savings.
- Easy Administration- CloudTrail is a fully managed service
On the other hand, Logmatic provides the following key features:
- Easy Set Up: Just send us any type of logs - front to back - machine events, or metrics and we will do the powerful processing. No Logmatic.io agent
- Enrichment & Parsing: Automatic recognition, Customisable grok parsers, Integrated IP geolocation and user-agent parsing
- Investigation: Faceted and full-text granular searches, Real-time search results
"Very easy setup" is the top reason why over 6 developers like AWS CloudTrail, while over 34 developers mention "Powerful Data Vizualization" as the leading cause for choosing Logmatic.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is AWS CloudTrail?
What is Logmatic?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions