Prometheus vs StatusPage.io: What are the differences?
Developers describe Prometheus as "An open-source service monitoring system and time series database, developed by SoundCloud". Prometheus is a systems and service monitoring system. It collects metrics from configured targets at given intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays the results, and can trigger alerts if some condition is observed to be true. On the other hand, StatusPage.io is detailed as "Build trust with every incident: Real-time status and incident communication". The #1 status and incident communication tool. Use Statuspage to build trust with every incident.
Prometheus and StatusPage.io are primarily classified as "Monitoring" and "Status Page Hosting" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Prometheus are:
- a multi-dimensional data model (timeseries defined by metric name and set of key/value dimensions)
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no dependency on distributed storage
On the other hand, StatusPage.io provides the following key features:
- Incidents During Service Disruptions- Active incidents are prominently displayed at the top of your page for your visitors to see right when they arrive, and they can subscribe to further updates via email or SMS.
- Status For Individual Architecture Pieces- Modern systems are made up of many different functional pieces, and listing each piece separately helps you further communicate the status of your infrastructure. Each component can be listed as Operational, Degraded Performance, Partial Outage, or Major Outage.
- Scheduled Maintenance- proactively reach out to customers via Scheduled Maintenance to avoid the email rage while you're busy getting the servers back on their feet.
"Powerful easy to use monitoring" is the primary reason why developers consider Prometheus over the competitors, whereas "Easy downtime notifications" was stated as the key factor in picking StatusPage.io.
Prometheus is an open source tool with 24.6K GitHub stars and 3.49K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Prometheus's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Prometheus has a broader approval, being mentioned in 235 company stacks & 84 developers stacks; compared to StatusPage.io, which is listed in 142 company stacks and 8 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Prometheus?
What is StatusPage.io?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat, Inc.