Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Koding vs WakaTime: What are the differences?
Developers describe Koding as "A new way for developers to work". Koding is a feature rich cloud-based development environment complete with free VMs, an attractive IDE & sudo level terminal access!. On the other hand, WakaTime is detailed as "Quantify Your Coding. Open-source plugins for automatic time tracking & insights into your programming". Quantify your coding - open source plugins for automatic time tracking & insights into your programming.
Koding can be classified as a tool in the "Cloud IDE" category, while WakaTime is grouped under "Programming & Code Analytics".
Some of the features offered by Koding are:
- Free virtual machine (VM) with Ubuntu, root access, apt-get, and many commonly used tools
- Built-in Terminal with 256-color support
- All languages, databases, and command-line tools are supported
On the other hand, WakaTime provides the following key features:
- Fully automatic, with reports via email
- Find the time you spend per feature/commit
- See time spent in each language
"Free" is the primary reason why developers consider Koding over the competitors, whereas "Automatic time tracking per project" was stated as the key factor in picking WakaTime.
I am going to learn machine learning and self host an online IDE, the tool that i may use is Python, Anaconda, various python library and etc. which tools should i go for? this may include Java development, web development. Now i have 1 more candidate which are visual studio code online (code server). i will host on google cloud
The main contenders here are VS code and Eclipse, because Koding is meant to be used by large companies and by devs who know what they are doing. Both VS code and Eclipse have pros and cons, but for someone who wants to learn, VS Code is a much better choice as it has a very simple UI and plugins are easier to find and download.
Eclipse isn't meant for learning purposes and was designed with the intent to be used by professionals. Also it is an amazing IDE for java, but isn't so good in other languages, while VS code is much more efficient in a vast number of languages.
The only likely issue you might be facing with vs code is that, at times, it can be a resource hog, and in extreme cases it is possible to crash. But it is very rare and I recommend you have at least 8GB ram and at least a dual 1.6 GHz CPU.
Pros of Koding
- Built in terminal for vm31
- Free vm with ssh access30
- Real time code collaboration with infinite # of people14
- Built in social network with developers from all over13
- Good ui12
- Active community12
- 1gb ram on the free plan12
- Strong alternative of localhosts10
- Free public ip6
- Best online ide3
- Easy and reliable2
- Koding University1
- Koding Package Manager1
- Automated development environment setup system1
- No free VM anymore1
Pros of WakaTime
- Automatic time tracking per project16
- It's a great way to manage my time12
- Time log next to each commit on GitHub8
- Big choice of supported IDEs4
- Vim integration4
- Eclipse integration1
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of Koding
Cons of WakaTime
- Slow down the IDE1