HockeyApp vs TestFlight: What are the differences?
Developers describe HockeyApp as "Manage your betas and collect live crash reports for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and OS X apps". HockeyApp is the best way to collect live crash reports, get feedback from your users, distribute your betas, and analyze your test coverage. On the other hand, TestFlight is detailed as "iOS beta testing on the fly". With TestFlight, developers simply upload a build, and the testers can install it directly from their device, over the air.
HockeyApp and TestFlight belong to "Beta Testing / Mobile App Distribution" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by HockeyApp are:
- Crash Reports- HockeyApp offers the most reliable and complete crash reporting for beta and App Store versions using open source frameworks. Providing full server-side symbolication with class names, methods, line numbers, and automatic grouping of similar crash reports.
- Feedback- HockeyApp allows you to communicate with your customers. Users can create a support request, post an idea, or discuss a problem right from within the app.
- Distribution- Upload your beta versions to HockeyApp and distribute them to your beta testers. Integrate our open-source SDK and your app will automatically be able to detect updates and offer the updates right within the app.Analytics- By integrating our SDK into your app, you'll get advanced metrics to get a better overview of the testing for your app. See which devices were tested, which testers used the app for how long, and which language was tested.
On the other hand, TestFlight provides the following key features:
- Sessions- Discover how testers are using your application. Watch as they progress and take unexpected turns.
- Crash Reports- Reported in realtime, with environment snapshots and full session activity.
- In-App Questions- The most effective way to get tester feedback. Get the answers you need by asking questions the moment a checkpoint is passed.
"Crash analytics" is the top reason why over 14 developers like HockeyApp, while over 61 developers mention "Must have for ios development" as the leading cause for choosing TestFlight.
Spotify, Lyft, and Square are some of the popular companies that use TestFlight, whereas HockeyApp is used by Harvest, Pubu, and OrderUp. TestFlight has a broader approval, being mentioned in 313 company stacks & 65 developers stacks; compared to HockeyApp, which is listed in 50 company stacks and 11 developer stacks.