Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Fork vs GitUp: What are the differences?
What is Fork? Fast and Friendly Git Client for Mac. Manage your repositories without leaving the application. Organize the repositores into categories. Fork's Diff Viewer provides a clear view to spot the changes in your source code quickly.
What is GitUp? The Git interface you've been missing all your life. GitUp lets you see your entire labyrinth of branches and merges with perfect clarity. Any change you make, large or small, even outside GitUp, is immediately reflected in GitUp's graph. No refreshing, no waiting.
Fork and GitUp can be primarily classified as "Source Code Management Desktop Apps" tools.
"One of the easiest and fastest git GUIs" is the primary reason why developers consider Fork over the competitors, whereas "Can edit commit messages" was stated as the key factor in picking GitUp.
I explored many Git Desktop tools for the Mac and my final decision was to use Fork. What I love about for that it contains three features, I like about a Git Client tool.
It allows * to handle day to day git operations (least important for me as I am cli junkie) * it helps to investigate the history * most important of all, it has a repo manager which many other tools are missing.
Pros of Fork
- One of the easiest and fastest git GUIs18
- Nice UX13
- Does the job way better than others12
- Fast, Great support, Does-it-all, blazing fast12
- Dark theme10
- Intuitive interactive rebase and conflict resolution UI9
- Gitflow support9
- Excellent commit history tree view7
- This even looks the same as SourceTree5
- Repository Manager4
- Countless quality of life features3
- Built-in developer feedback3
- Not buggy, works smoothly2
- Visual branch history2
- Reflog support2
- Github Notifications2
- Git ammend1
- Smart 'Open in' menu; e.g. explorer, bit, giithub .1
- Native application1
- Interactive rebase window1
- Intuitive merge conflict resolution1
- Unique Activity Manager shows current/past operations1
Pros of GitUp
- Can edit commit messages6
- Simple interface5
- Native OSX App5
- Easy rebase3
- Great branch visualization3
- Search commit messages2
- Beautiful UI2
- Visual history and branch view2
- Incredibly easy squash2
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of Fork
- Stability is fragile when looking deeply into history1
- Merges that require interactive user decision1
- Poorly written license1