What is Dapr?
Who uses Dapr?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Dapr in their tech stack.
At my company, we are trying to move away from a monolith into microservices led architecture. We are now stuck with a problem to establish a communication mechanism between microservices. Since, we are planning to use service meshes and something like Dapr/Istio, we are not sure on how to split services between the two. Service meshes offer Traffic Routing or Splitting whereas, Dapr can offer state management and service-service invocation. At the same time both of them provide mLTS, Metrics, Resiliency and tracing. How to choose who should offer what?
- Event-driven Pub-Sub system with pluggable providers and at-least-once semantics
- Input and Output bindings with pluggable providers
- State management with pluggable data stores
- Consistent service-to-service discovery and invocation
- Opt-in stateful models: Strong/Eventual consistency, First-write/Last-write wins
- Cross platform Virtual Actors
- Rate limiting
- Built-in distributed tracing using Open Telemetry
- Runs natively on Kubernetes using a dedicated Operator and CRDs
- Supports all programming languages via HTTP and gRPC
- Multi-Cloud, open components (bindings, pub-sub, state) from Azure, AWS, GCP
- Runs anywhere - as a process or containerized
- Lightweight (58MB binary, 4MB physical memory)
- Runs as a sidecar - removes the need for special SDKs or libraries
- Dedicated CLI - developer friendly experience with easy debugging