Octopus Deploy vs Puppet Labs: What are the differences?
What is Octopus Deploy? Automated deployment for .NET. Octopus works with your build server to enable reliable, secure, automated releases of ASP.NET applications and Windows Services into test, staging and production environments, whether they are in the cloud or on-premises.
What is Puppet Labs? Server automation framework and application. Puppet is an automated administrative engine for your Linux, Unix, and Windows systems and performs administrative tasks (such as adding users, installing packages, and updating server configurations) based on a centralized specification.
Octopus Deploy can be classified as a tool in the "Deployment as a Service" category, while Puppet Labs is grouped under "Server Configuration and Automation".
Some of the features offered by Octopus Deploy are:
- Deploy on-premises or to the cloud, securely
- Built for .NET developers
- Configuration and scripting
On the other hand, Puppet Labs provides the following key features:
- Insight- Puppet Enterprise's event inspector gives immediate and actionable insight into your environment, showing you what changed, where and how by classes, nodes and resources.
- Discovery- Puppet Enterprise delivers a dynamic and fully-pluggable discovery service that allows you to take advantage of any data source or real-time query results to quickly locate, identify and group cloud nodes.
- Provisioning- Automatically provision and configure bare metal, virtual, and private or public cloud capacity, all from a single pane. Save time getting your cloud projects off the ground by reusing the same configuration modules you set up for your physical deployments.
"Powerful" is the top reason why over 26 developers like Octopus Deploy, while over 45 developers mention "Devops" as the leading cause for choosing Puppet Labs.
Puppet Labs is an open source tool with 5.37K GitHub stars and 2.1K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Puppet Labs's open source repository on GitHub.
Uber Technologies, Twitch, and PayPal are some of the popular companies that use Puppet Labs, whereas Octopus Deploy is used by Starbucks, Olo, and Huddle. Puppet Labs has a broader approval, being mentioned in 180 company stacks & 49 developers stacks; compared to Octopus Deploy, which is listed in 47 company stacks and 15 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Octopus Deploy?
What is Puppet Labs?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions