Kibana vs StatsD: What are the differences?
Developers describe Kibana as "Explore & Visualize Your Data". Kibana is an open source (Apache Licensed), browser based analytics and search dashboard for Elasticsearch. Kibana is a snap to setup and start using. Kibana strives to be easy to get started with, while also being flexible and powerful, just like Elasticsearch. On the other hand, StatsD is detailed as "Simple daemon for easy stats aggregation". StatsD is a front-end proxy for the Graphite/Carbon metrics server, originally written by Etsy's Erik Kastner. StatsD is a network daemon that runs on the Node.js platform and listens for statistics, like counters and timers, sent over UDP and sends aggregates to one or more pluggable backend services (e.g., Graphite).
Kibana and StatsD can be primarily classified as "Monitoring" tools.
Some of the features offered by Kibana are:
- Flexible analytics and visualization platform
- Real-time summary and charting of streaming data
- Intuitive interface for a variety of users
On the other hand, StatsD provides the following key features:
- buckets: Each stat is in its own "bucket". They are not predefined anywhere. Buckets can be named anything that will translate to Graphite (periods make folders, etc)
- values: Each stat will have a value. How it is interpreted depends on modifiers. In general values should be integer.
- flush: After the flush interval timeout (defined by config.flushInterval, default 10 seconds), stats are aggregated and sent to an upstream backend service.
"Easy to setup" is the top reason why over 76 developers like Kibana, while over 6 developers mention "Single responsibility" as the leading cause for choosing StatsD.
Kibana and StatsD are both open source tools. It seems that StatsD with 14.2K GitHub stars and 1.83K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Kibana with 12.4K GitHub stars and 4.8K GitHub forks.
According to the StackShare community, Kibana has a broader approval, being mentioned in 907 company stacks & 479 developers stacks; compared to StatsD, which is listed in 72 company stacks and 16 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Kibana?
What is StatsD?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions