Grafana vs Uptime Robot: What are the differences?
Developers describe Grafana as "Open source Graphite & InfluxDB Dashboard and Graph Editor". Grafana is a general purpose dashboard and graph composer. It's focused on providing rich ways to visualize time series metrics, mainly though graphs but supports other ways to visualize data through a pluggable panel architecture. It currently has rich support for for Graphite, InfluxDB and OpenTSDB. But supports other data sources via plugins. On the other hand, Uptime Robot is detailed as "Free website uptime monitor". Uptime Robot is all about helping you to keep your websites up. It monitors your websites every 5 minutes and alerts you if your sites are down.
Grafana belongs to "Monitoring Tools" category of the tech stack, while Uptime Robot can be primarily classified under "Website Monitoring".
Some of the features offered by Grafana are:
- Create, edit, save & search dashboards
- Change column spans and row heights
- Drag and drop panels to rearrange
On the other hand, Uptime Robot provides the following key features:
- http(s): that's perfect for website monitoring. The service regularly sends requests (which are the same as if a visitor is browsing your website) to the URL and decides if it is up or down depending on the HTTP statuses returned from the website (200-success, 404-not found, etc.)
- ping: this is good for monitoring a server. Ping (ICMP) requests are sent and up/down status is decided according to the "if responses are received or not". Ping is not a good fit for monitoring websites as a website (its IP) can respond to ping requests while it is down (which means that the site is down but the server hosting the site is up)
- keyword: checks if a keyword exists or not exists in a web page
"Beautiful" is the primary reason why developers consider Grafana over the competitors, whereas "Free tier" was stated as the key factor in picking Uptime Robot.
Grafana is an open source tool with 29.3K GitHub stars and 5.55K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Grafana's open source repository on GitHub.
Oscar Health, Docplanner, and Harvest are some of the popular companies that use Grafana, whereas Uptime Robot is used by Geocodio, Avenue.io, and Gimanzo Systems. Grafana has a broader approval, being mentioned in 559 company stacks & 313 developers stacks; compared to Uptime Robot, which is listed in 61 company stacks and 22 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Grafana?
What is UptimeRobot?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions