Grafana vs StatsD: What are the differences?
Grafana: Open source Graphite & InfluxDB Dashboard and Graph Editor. Grafana is a general purpose dashboard and graph composer. It's focused on providing rich ways to visualize time series metrics, mainly though graphs but supports other ways to visualize data through a pluggable panel architecture. It currently has rich support for for Graphite, InfluxDB and OpenTSDB. But supports other data sources via plugins; StatsD: Simple daemon for easy stats aggregation. StatsD is a front-end proxy for the Graphite/Carbon metrics server, originally written by Etsy's Erik Kastner. StatsD is a network daemon that runs on the Node.js platform and listens for statistics, like counters and timers, sent over UDP and sends aggregates to one or more pluggable backend services (e.g., Graphite).
Grafana and StatsD can be primarily classified as "Monitoring" tools.
Some of the features offered by Grafana are:
- Create, edit, save & search dashboards
- Change column spans and row heights
- Drag and drop panels to rearrange
On the other hand, StatsD provides the following key features:
- buckets: Each stat is in its own "bucket". They are not predefined anywhere. Buckets can be named anything that will translate to Graphite (periods make folders, etc)
- values: Each stat will have a value. How it is interpreted depends on modifiers. In general values should be integer.
- flush: After the flush interval timeout (defined by config.flushInterval, default 10 seconds), stats are aggregated and sent to an upstream backend service.
"Beautiful" is the top reason why over 65 developers like Grafana, while over 6 developers mention "Single responsibility" as the leading cause for choosing StatsD.
Grafana and StatsD are both open source tools. Grafana with 29.7K GitHub stars and 5.63K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than StatsD with 14.2K GitHub stars and 1.83K GitHub forks.
Uber Technologies, 9GAG, and Harvest are some of the popular companies that use Grafana, whereas StatsD is used by Lyft, Kickstarter, and Sauce Labs. Grafana has a broader approval, being mentioned in 577 company stacks & 325 developers stacks; compared to StatsD, which is listed in 72 company stacks and 16 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Grafana?
What is StatsD?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions