Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Cloudmailin vs Postmark: What are the differences?
Developers describe Cloudmailin as "Incoming Email for your Web App". CloudMailin allows you to receive any volume of incoming email via a Webhook. You are given an email address that will forward any incoming message to your app, as an HTTP POST, within milliseconds. You can also seamlessly check the delivery status of each of your incoming emails via the dashboard, bounce emails that you do not wish to receive and use your own domain name. On the other hand, Postmark is detailed as "Email delivery for web apps - done right". Postmark removes the headaches of delivering and parsing transactional email for webapps with minimal setup time and zero maintenance.
Cloudmailin and Postmark belong to "Transactional Email" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Cloudmailin are:
- Easily receive email in Ruby on Rails, PHP, .Net, Java, Django or any language/framework we forgot. Since the email is delivered as an HTTP Post it's simple.
- See the delivery status of the emails it has delivered to your app.
- No more polling or waiting for new processes to spawn. Email can arrive in as little as a few milliseconds.
On the other hand, Postmark provides the following key features:
- Create a new virtual server- Instant access to our infrastructure, no waiting required. Create as many servers as you want, for each of your web applications and environments.
- Drop code into your app- Swap in our SMTP endpoint, or get started with our APIs using one of our send API libraries for Ruby, Rails, .NET, Python, PHP, and more.
- Send emails and track delivery- A beautiful interface to monitor volume, bounces, spam complaints, and send activity. View full email content to troubleshoot issues.
We chose Postmark as our transactional email service for several reasons:
Laser-focus (at the time) on transactional email - their success/speed/reliability with delivering transactional email is amazing. Note, they have now branched out and offer marketing/broadcast email services too.
Developer-friendly - Awesome docs and resources. Their Rail gem integrates directly with ActionMailer so nearly all of our code worked without changes.
Servers - You can set up "Servers" for different mail streams/workflows to keep things separate and easy to review.
Bootstrapped - Wildbit (who makes Postmark) is bootstrapped just like the Friendliest.app and they offer a service credit to other bootstrapped startups.
Of course we chose Coresender to send our own transactional emails :) So I thought I'll let you know how we use it.
We set up separate sending accounts for all company needs, eg. transactional emails, monitoring alerts, time to inbox. We even configured our office printers to send emails through Coresender.
We have a real-time and extremely usable view into what emails go through each account, so each time anybody reports an email not arriving we're able to assist them in a few seconds
We utilize our message timeline feature, so we can learn eg. if people are clicking on password reset links
We always know how many of our onboarding emails are being opened which helps us improve them
Finally, we have full controll over our suppressions lists, so we can add (and remove!) from them whenever necessary.
To sum up, at Coresender we're eating our own dogfood and it helps us stay connected to the product and understand our customers better.
While building our authentication system, we originally picked Mailgun. However, emails took minutes to arrive and some of them didn't get delivered - or got delivered to spam.
We started looking for a new provider, and settled on Postmark. We love that they track time-to-inbox, it makes me feel they really care about going above and beyond to provide a good service.
Pros of Cloudmailin
Pros of Postmark
- Great analytics10
- Email, done right8
- Easy setup5
- Heroku Add-on5
- Can review sent messages2
- Very inexpensive1
- Exceptional support1
- Pay per message1
- Great support1
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of Cloudmailin
Cons of Postmark
- No 24x7 support1