Apigee vs Kong: What are the differences?
Apigee: Intelligent and complete API platform. API management, design, analytics, and security are at the heart of modern digital architecture. The Apigee intelligent API platform is a complete solution for moving business to the digital world; Kong: Open Source Microservice & API Management Layer. Kong is a scalable, open source API Layer (also known as an API Gateway, or API Middleware). Kong controls layer 4 and 7 traffic and is extended through Plugins, which provide extra functionality and services beyond the core platform.
Apigee can be classified as a tool in the "API Tools" category, while Kong is grouped under "Microservices Tools".
Some of the features offered by Apigee are:
- Design, secure, analyze, and scale your APIs with the Apigee Edge API management platform.
- Predictive analytics to ensure intelligent and customized interactions.
- Connect devices to the Internet, and enable partners and developers to access device functionality and data with APIs.
On the other hand, Kong provides the following key features:
- Logging: Log requests and responses to your system over TCP, UDP or to disk
- OAuth2.0: Add easily an OAuth2.0 authentication to your APIs
- Monitoring: Live monitoring provides key load and performance server metrics
"Highly scalable and secure API Management Platform" is the top reason why over 5 developers like Apigee, while over 28 developers mention "Easy to maintain" as the leading cause for choosing Kong.
Kong is an open source tool with 22.4K GitHub stars and 2.75K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Kong's open source repository on GitHub.
Checkr, Policygenius, and Decision6 are some of the popular companies that use Kong, whereas Apigee is used by OpenGov, Trustpilot, and RapidSOS. Kong has a broader approval, being mentioned in 50 company stacks & 14 developers stacks; compared to Apigee, which is listed in 5 company stacks and 11 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Apigee?
What is Kong?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions