What is Pelican?
Pelican is a static site generator that supports Markdown and reST syntax. Write your weblog entries directly with your editor of choice (vim!) in reStructuredText or Markdown.
Pelican is a tool in the Static Site Generators category of a tech stack.
Pelican is an open source tool with 10.2K GitHub stars and 1.7K GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Pelican's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Pelican?
5 companies reportedly use Pelican in their tech stacks, including MonkeyLearn Stack, SFTPPlus, and Dativa.
57 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Pelican.
- Blog articles and pages
- Comments, via an external service (Disqus). (Please note that while useful, Disqus is an external service, and thus the comment data will be somewhat outside of your control and potentially subject to data loss.)
- Theming support (themes are created using Jinja2 templates)
- PDF generation of the articles/pages (optional)
- Publication of articles in multiple languages
- Atom/RSS feeds
- Code syntax highlighting
- Import from WordPress, Dotclear, or RSS feeds
- Integration with external tools: Twitter, Google Analytics, etc. (optional)
- Fast rebuild times thanks to content caching and selective output writing.
Pelican Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Pelican?
See all alternatives
Heron is realtime analytics platform developed by Twitter. It is the direct successor of Apache Storm, built to be backwards compatible with Storm's topology API but with a wide array of architectural improvements.
Gatsby lets you build blazing fast sites with your data, whatever the source. Liberate your sites from legacy CMSs and fly into the future.
Think of Jekyll as a file-based CMS, without all the complexity. Jekyll takes your content, renders Markdown and Liquid templates, and spits out a complete, static website ready to be served by Apache, Nginx or another web server. Jekyll is the engine behind GitHub Pages, which you can use to host sites right from your GitHub repositories.
Hugo is a static site generator written in Go. It is optimized for speed, easy use and configurability. Hugo takes a directory with content and templates and renders them into a full html website. Hugo makes use of markdown files with front matter for meta data.
Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds.