What is FLEX?
FLEX (Flipboard Explorer) is a set of in-app debugging and exploration tools for iOS development. When presented, FLEX shows a toolbar that lives in a window above your application. From this toolbar, you can view and modify nearly every piece of state in your running application.
FLEX is a tool in the Mobile Runtime Inspector category of a tech stack.
FLEX is an open source tool with GitHub stars and GitHub forks. Here’s a link to FLEX's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses FLEX?
5 companies reportedly use FLEX in their tech stacks, including Flipboard, Jisuanke, and Pixium Digital Pte Ltd.
10 developers on StackShare have stated that they use FLEX.
Pros of FLEX
True Native iOS Builds
- Inspect and modify views in the hierarchy.
- See the properties and ivars on any object.
- Dynamically modify many properties and ivars.
- Dynamically call instance and class methods.
- Access any live object via a scan of the heap.
- View the file system within your app's sandbox.
- Explore all classes in your app and linked systems frameworks (public and private).
- Quickly access useful objects such as [UIApplication sharedApplication], the app delegate, the root view controller on the key window, and more.
- Dynamically view and modify NSUserDefaults values.
FLEX Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to FLEX?
See all alternatives
Yoga is a cross-platform layout engine which implements Flexbox. Yoga enables maximum collaboration within your team by implementing an API familiar to many designers and opening it up to developers across different platforms.
PonyDebugger is a remote debugging toolset. It is a client library and gateway server combination that uses Chrome Developer Tools on your browser to debug your application's network traffic and managed object contexts. To use PonyDebugger, you must implement the client in your application and connect it to the gateway server. There is currently an iOS client and the gateway server.
Stetho is a sophisticated debug bridge for Android applications. When enabled, developers have access to the Chrome Developer Tools feature natively part of the Chrome desktop browser. Developers can also choose to enable the optional dumpapp tool which offers a powerful command-line interface to application internals.
Reveal brings the power of tools like Firebug and Web Inspector to iOS developers. See your application's view hierarchy at runtime with advanced 2D and 3D visualisations. Debug view layout and rendering problems in seconds.
Sonar is a platform for debugging mobile apps on iOS and Android. Visualize, inspect, and control your apps from a simple desktop interface. Use Sonar as is or extend it using the plugin API.