What is Flatpak?
It is a next-generation technology for building and distributing desktop applications on Linux
Flatpak is a tool in the Desktop App Distribution category of a tech stack.
Who uses Flatpak?
4 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Flatpak.
- Build for every distro - Create one app and distribute it to the entire Linux desktop market.
- Stable platforms - Runtimes provide platforms of common libraries that you can depend on.
- Consistent environments - Develop and test your application in an environment that’s identical to the one users have.
- Full control over dependencies - Flatpak makes it easy to bundle your own libraries as part of your app.
- Easy build tools - Flatpak’s build tools are simple and easy to use, and come with a full set of documentation.
- Future-proof builds - Flatpak apps continue to be compatible with new versions of Linux distributions.
- Distribution made easy - Make your app available to a rapidly growing audience of Flatpak users, with Flathub.
- An independent project - Flatpak is developed by an independent community, with no lock-in to a single vendor.
Flatpak Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Flatpak?
See all alternatives
The Docker Platform is the industry-leading container platform for continuous, high-velocity innovation, enabling organizations to seamlessly build and share any application — from legacy to what comes next — and securely run them anywhere
LXC is a userspace interface for the Linux kernel containment features. Through a powerful API and simple tools, it lets Linux users easily create and manage system or application containers.
LXD isn't a rewrite of LXC, in fact it's building on top of LXC to provide a new, better user experience. Under the hood, LXD uses LXC through liblxc and its Go binding to create and manage the containers. It's basically an alternative to LXC's tools and distribution template system with the added features that come from being controllable over the network.
It's the only MongoDB tool that provides three ways to explore data alongside powerful features like query autocompletion, polyglot code generation, a stage-by-stage aggregation query builder, import and export, SQL query support and more.
Rocket is a cli for running App Containers. The goal of rocket is to be composable, secure, and fast.