What is AWS Storage Gateway?
The AWS Storage Gateway is a service connecting an on-premises software appliance with cloud-based storage. Once the AWS Storage Gateway’s software appliance is installed on a local host, you can mount Storage Gateway volumes to your on-premises application servers as iSCSI devices, enabling a wide variety of systems and applications to make use of them. Data written to these volumes is maintained on your on-premises storage hardware while being asynchronously backed up to AWS, where it is stored in Amazon Glacier or in Amazon S3 in the form of Amazon EBS snapshots. Snapshots are encrypted to make sure that customers do not have to worry about encrypting sensitive data themselves. When customers need to retrieve data, they can restore snapshots locally, or create Amazon EBS volumes from snapshots for use with applications running in Amazon EC2. It provides low-latency performance by maintaining frequently accessed data on-premises while securely storing all of your data encrypted.
AWS Storage Gateway is a tool in the Data Backup category of a tech stack.
Who uses AWS Storage Gateway?
3 companies reportedly use AWS Storage Gateway in their tech stacks, including Hangry With Friends, StartupDB.asia, and infrastructure.
13 developers on StackShare have stated that they use AWS Storage Gateway.
AWS Storage Gateway Integrations
AWS Storage Gateway's Features
- Gateway-Cached Volumes – Gateway-Cached volumes allow you to utilize Amazon S3 for your primary data, while retaining some portion of it locally in a cache for frequently accessed data.
- Gateway-Stored Volumes – Gateway-Stored volumes store your primary data locally, while asynchronously backing up that data to AWS.
- Data Snapshots – Gateway-Cached volumes and Gateway-Stored volumes provide the ability to create and store point-in-time snapshots of your storage volumes in Amazon S3.
- Gateway-VTL – Gateway-VTL provides you with a cost-effective, scalable, and durable virtual tape infrastructure that allows you to eliminate the challenges associated with owning and operating an on-premises physical tape infrastructure.
- Secure – The AWS Storage Gateway securely transfers your data to AWS over SSL and stores data encrypted at rest in Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier using Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256, a secure symmetric-key encryption standard using 256-bit encryption keys.
- Durably backed by Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier –The AWS Storage Gateway durably stores your on-premises application data by uploading it to Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier. Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier redundantly store data in multiple facilities and on multiple devices within each facility. Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier also perform regular, systematic data integrity checks and are built to be automatically self-healing.
- Compatible – There is no need to re-architect your on-premises applications. Gateway-Cached volumes and Gateway-Stored volumes expose a standard iSCSI block disk device interface and Gateway-VTL presents a standard iSCSI virtual tape library interface.
AWS Storage Gateway Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to AWS Storage Gateway?
See all alternatives
Import/Export supports importing and exporting data into and out of Amazon S3 buckets. For significant data sets, AWS Import/Export is often faster than Internet transfer and more cost effective than upgrading your connectivity.
AWS Direct Connect
AWS Direct Connect makes it easy to establish a dedicated network connection from your premises to AWS. Using AWS Direct Connect, you can establish private connectivity between AWS and your datacenter, office, or colocation environment, which in many cases can reduce your network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections.
Harness the power of Dropbox. Connect to an account, upload, download, search, and more.
In order to keep costs low, Amazon Glacier is optimized for data that is infrequently accessed and for which retrieval times of several hours are suitable. With Amazon Glacier, customers can reliably store large or small amounts of data for as little as $0.01 per gigabyte per month, a significant savings compared to on-premises solutions.
It is a backup program that is fast, efficient and secure. It uses cryptography to guarantee the confidentiality and integrity of your data.