What is Adobe ColdFusion?
Who uses Adobe ColdFusion?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Adobe ColdFusion in their tech stack.
I have a client who currently has a Adobe ColdFusion 8 based web application. It is very modest and is only used by one or two people. It is primarily used for editing very basic data (e.g. a few text fields and text boxes for various entities). I have no experience with ColdFusion, but it seems like it would be better to go with some other technologies/stacks/etc. to do such a thing, especially given that there is a significant upfront cost to ColdFusion. It doesn't seem to be a very "popular" "framework" to use, and it would be harder to find support for it, down the road. Any recommendations about a good set of tech/framework to use for a simple CRUD application? I was thinking of perhaps looking into Flask with Python, or Django. Any thoughts?
Adobe ColdFusion's Features
- Simplified database access
- Client and server cache management
- Client-side code generation, especially for form widgets and validation
- Conversion from HTML to PDF
- Data retrieval from common enterprise systems such as Active Directory, LDAP, SMTP, POP, HTTP, FTP, Microsoft Exchange Server and common data formats such as RSS and Atom
- File indexing and searching service based on Apache Solr
- GUI administration
- Server, application, client, session, and request scopes
- XML parsing, querying (XPath), validation and transformation (XSLT)
- Server clustering
- Task scheduling
- Graphing and reporting
- Simplified file manipulation including raster graphics (and CAPTCHA) and zip archives (introduction of video manipulation is planned in a future release)
- Simplified web service implementation (with automated WSDL generation / transparent SOAP handling for both creating and consuming services
- Asynchronous programming, using Futures
- Command line REPL
- Distributed cache support (Redis, memcached, JCS)
- REST playground capability
- Performance Monitoring Toolset
- API Manager
- NTLM support
- Swagger document generation
- Support for HTML5 web sockets