What is Yeoman?
Yeoman is a robust and opinionated set of tools, libraries, and a workflow that can help developers quickly build beautiful, compelling web apps. It is comprised of yo - a scaffolding tool using our generator system, grunt - a task runner for your build process and bower for dependency management.
Yeoman is a tool in the Front End Scaffolding Tools category of a tech stack.
Yeoman is an open source tool with 10K GitHub stars and 755 GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Yeoman's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Yeoman?
268 companies reportedly use Yeoman in their tech stacks, including Accenture, ViaVarejo, and Avocode.
1296 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Yeoman.
Pros of Yeoman
Great build process
- Lightning-fast scaffolding — Easily scaffold new projects with customizable templates (e.g HTML5 Boilerplate, Bootstrap), RequireJS and more.
- Great build process — Not only do you get minification and concatenation
- I also optimize all your image files, HTML, compile your CoffeeScript and Compass files, if you're using AMD, I will pass those modules through r.js so you don't have to.
- Automatically compile CoffeeScript & Compass — Our LiveReload watch process automatically compiles source files and refreshes your browser whenever a change is made so you don't have to.
- Automatically lint your scripts — All your scripts are automatically run against JSHint to ensure they're following language best-practices.
- Built-in preview server — No more having to fire up your own HTTP Server. My built-in one can be fired with just one command.
- Awesome Image Optimization — I optimize all your images using OptiPNG and JPEGTran so your users can spend less time downloading assets and more time using your app.
- Killer package management — Need a dependency? It's just a keystroke away. I allow you to easily search for new packages via the command-line (e.g. `bower search jquery`), install them and keep them updated without needing to open your browser.
- PhantomJS Unit Testing — Easily run your unit tests in headless WebKit via PhantomJS. When you create a new application, I also include some test scaffolding for your app.
Yeoman Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Yeoman?
See all alternatives
Bower is a package manager for the web. It offers a generic, unopinionated solution to the problem of front-end package management, while exposing the package dependency model via an API that can be consumed by a more opinionated build stack. There are no system wide dependencies, no dependencies are shared between different apps, and the dependency tree is flat.
Slush is a scaffolding tool, i.e. a tool to help you generate new project structures to get you up and running with your new project in a matter of seconds.
Yarn caches every package it downloads so it never needs to again. It also parallelizes operations to maximize resource utilization so install times are faster than ever.