Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
GitUp vs Tower: What are the differences?
Developers describe GitUp as "The Git interface you've been missing all your life". GitUp lets you see your entire labyrinth of branches and merges with perfect clarity. Any change you make, large or small, even outside GitUp, is immediately reflected in GitUp's graph. No refreshing, no waiting. On the other hand, Tower is detailed as "The most powerful Git client for Mac & Windows". Use all of Git's powerful feature set - in a GUI that makes you more productive.
GitUp and Tower can be primarily classified as "Source Code Management Desktop Apps" tools.
Some of the features offered by GitUp are:
- Highlight a commit and hit the spacebar to quickly see its message and diff.
- GitUp gives you full, transparent control over your local checkout, so it's easy to back out from unwanted changes.
- GitUp's Snapshot feature builds a Time-Machine-like history of every change made to your repo, allowing you to step backwards to any point in time.
On the other hand, Tower provides the following key features:
- Clone & create repos with a click - Manage your GitHub, Bitbucket & Beanstalk accounts from within Tower
- Open repos quickly - Tower's "Quick Open" dialog finds and opens repositories in no time
- Automate the boring stuff - Fetching and stashing are automatically done for you, if you wish
"Can edit commit messages" is the top reason why over 5 developers like GitUp, while over 16 developers mention "Git" as the leading cause for choosing Tower.
Pros of GitUp
- Can edit commit messages6
- Simple interface5
- Native OSX App5
- Easy rebase3
- Great branch visualization3
- Search commit messages2
- Beautiful UI2
- Visual history and branch view2
- Incredibly easy squash2
Pros of Tower
- Just works16
- Version control10
- Simple layout6
- Multiple windows4
- Multiple tabs3
- Automatic repo discovery3
- Gitflow support2
- Uses standard git terminology and methods2
- Submodule support2
- Interactive stage or discard by hunks or lines2
- Github integration2
- Full featured client2
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of GitUp
Cons of Tower
- Subscription based4
- No side by side diff1
- Merge conflict resolution impossible/unclear0