Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
GitKraken vs Tower: What are the differences?
What is GitKraken? Git GUI Client for Windows Mac and Linux built on Electron. The downright luxurious Git client for Windows, Mac and Linux. Cross-platform, 100% standalone, and free.
What is Tower? The most powerful Git client for Mac & Windows. Use all of Git's powerful feature set - in a GUI that makes you more productive.
GitKraken and Tower can be primarily classified as "Source Code Management Desktop Apps" tools.
"Dark theme" is the top reason why over 47 developers like GitKraken, while over 16 developers mention "Git" as the leading cause for choosing Tower.
Tradecore, SCORE42, and Atbox are some of the popular companies that use GitKraken, whereas Tower is used by Swat.io, Coderus, and Startae. GitKraken has a broader approval, being mentioned in 43 company stacks & 38 developers stacks; compared to Tower, which is listed in 31 company stacks and 16 developer stacks.
Pros of GitKraken
- Dark theme59
- Best linux git client34
- Great overview29
- Full featured client21
- Gitflow support20
- Beautiful UI19
- Very easy to use18
- Works great on both linux and windows13
- Easy Merge Conflict Tool6
- Amazing Github and Bitbucket integration5
- Great UX4
- Integration with GitHub3
- Automatic Repo Discovery3
- Submodule support3
- Easy to Learn and Setup3
- Super fast3
- Fuzzy find (CTRL P)2
- Very user friendly1
- Much more stable than source tree1
- Great for non-dev users1
- Because it has Linux client1
- Command palette (CTRL Shift P)1
Pros of Tower
- Just works16
- Version control10
- Simple layout6
- Multiple windows4
- Multiple tabs3
- Automatic repo discovery3
- Gitflow support2
- Uses standard git terminology and methods2
- Submodule support2
- Interactive stage or discard by hunks or lines2
- Github integration2
- Full featured client2
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of GitKraken
- Extremely slow when working with large repositories3
- No edit/fixup in interactive rebase3
- Hangs occasionally (not as bad as sourcetree)3
- Not as many features as sourcetree2
- Do not allow to directly edit staging area2
- Does not work like a Mac app2
Cons of Tower
- Subscription based4
- No side by side diff1
- Merge conflict resolution impossible/unclear0