AWS CloudTrail vs FortiAnalyzer: What are the differences?
AWS CloudTrail: Record AWS API calls for your account and have log files delivered to you. With CloudTrail, you can get a history of AWS API calls for your account, including API calls made via the AWS Management Console, AWS SDKs, command line tools, and higher-level AWS services (such as AWS CloudFormation). The AWS API call history produced by CloudTrail enables security analysis, resource change tracking, and compliance auditing. The recorded information includes the identity of the API caller, the time of the API call, the source IP address of the API caller, the request parameters, and the response elements returned by the AWS service; FortiAnalyzer: Analytics-Powered Security and Log Management. It offers centralized network security logging and reporting for the Fortinet Security Fabric. Functions such as viewing/filtering individual event logs, generating security reports, alerting based on behaviors, and investigating activity via drill-downs are all key features of FortiAnalyzer.
AWS CloudTrail and FortiAnalyzer are primarily classified as "Log Management" and "Security" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudTrail are:
- Increased Visibility- CloudTrail provides increased visibility into your user activity by recording AWS API calls. You can answer questions such as, what actions did a given user take over a given time period? For a given resource, which user has taken actions on it over a given time period? What is the source IP address of a given activity? Which activities failed due to inadequate permissions?
- Durable and Inexpensive Log File Storage- CloudTrail uses Amazon S3 for log file storage and delivery, so log files are stored durably and inexpensively. You can use Amazon S3 lifecycle configuration rules to further reduce storage costs. For example, you can define rules to automatically delete old log files or archive them to Amazon Glacier for additional savings.
- Easy Administration- CloudTrail is a fully managed service
On the other hand, FortiAnalyzer provides the following key features:
- Viewing/filtering individual event logs
- Generating security reports
- Alerting based on behaviors