Amazon S3 vs Rackspace Cloud Files: What are the differences?
What is Amazon S3? Store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. Amazon Simple Storage Service provides a fully redundant data storage infrastructure for storing and retrieving any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web.
What is Rackspace Cloud Files? Store it on Cloud Files, serve it fast on Akamai's CDN. Cloud Files, powered by OpenStack®, provides an easy to use online storage for files and media which can be delivered globally at blazing speeds over Akamai's content delivery network (CDN).
Amazon S3 and Rackspace Cloud Files belong to "Cloud Storage" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon S3 are:
- Write, read, and delete objects containing from 1 byte to 5 terabytes of data each. The number of objects you can store is unlimited.
- Each object is stored in a bucket and retrieved via a unique, developer-assigned key.
- A bucket can be stored in one of several Regions. You can choose a Region to optimize for latency, minimize costs, or address regulatory requirements. Amazon S3 is currently available in the US Standard, US West (Oregon), US West (Northern California), EU (Ireland), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), Asia Pacific (Sydney), South America (Sao Paulo), and GovCloud (US) Regions. The US Standard Region automatically routes requests to facilities in Northern Virginia or the Pacific Northwest using network maps.
On the other hand, Rackspace Cloud Files provides the following key features:
- Pay as you grow pricing starting at 10¢/GB/Mo.
- Akamai CDN delivery of your content starting at 12¢/GB
- Use as much or as little storage as you want
"Reliable" is the top reason why over 589 developers like Amazon S3, while over 4 developers mention "Akamai CDN" as the leading cause for choosing Rackspace Cloud Files.
According to the StackShare community, Amazon S3 has a broader approval, being mentioned in 3194 company stacks & 1559 developers stacks; compared to Rackspace Cloud Files, which is listed in 11 company stacks and 10 developer stacks.