What is cURL?
Used in command lines or scripts to transfer data. It is also used in cars, television sets, routers, printers, audio equipment, mobile phones, tablets, and is the internet transfer backbone for thousands of software applications affecting billions of humans daily.
cURL is a tool in the File Transfer category of a tech stack.
cURL is an open source tool with 31.3K GitHub stars and 5.9K GitHub forks. Here’s a link to cURL's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses cURL?
37 companies reportedly use cURL in their tech stacks, including Typeform, Datree, and arivu.one.
211 developers on StackShare have stated that they use cURL.
Homebrew, Appsmith, HTTPie, SDKMAN, and WeTransfer are some of the popular tools that integrate with cURL. Here's a list of all 14 tools that integrate with cURL.
Pros of cURL
Quickly view HTTP headers
Decisions about cURL
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose cURL in their tech stack.
- Go because it's easy and simple, facilitates collaboration , and also it's fast, scalable, powerful.
- Visual Studio Code because it has one of the most sophisticated Go language support plugins.
- Vim because it's Vim
- Git because it's Git
- Docker and Docker Compose because it's quick and easy to have reproducible builds/tests with them
- Arch Linux because Docker for Mac/Win is a disaster for the human nervous system, and Arch is the coolest Linux distro so far
- Stack Overflow because of Copy-Paste Driven Development
- PhpStorm because it saves me like 300 "Ctrl+F" key strokes a minute
- cURL because terminal all the way
cURL Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to cURL?
See all alternatives
It is the only complete API development environment, used by nearly five million developers and more than 100,000 companies worldwide.
It is a Modern command line HTTP client – user-friendly curl alternative with intuitive UI, JSON support, syntax highlighting, wget-like downloads, extensions, etc
It is a modern, fluent, asynchronous, testable, portable, buzzword-laden URL builder and HTTP client library for .NET.
It is a powerful and free software for transferring files over the Internet. It is a very popular FTP client and is used by webmasters from all over the world.
It is a popular SFTP client and FTP client for Microsoft Windows. Copy file between a local computer and remote servers using FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP, WebDAV or S3 file transfer protocols.